The Nellie Burge Community Center began as the North Montgomery Settlement House in 1904 when a group of women at the Court Street UMC decided to make a difference and established a “day nursery” to assist working mothers. In 1914, they built the North Montgomery Settlement House and dedicated it to the services of needy women, children and families in North Montgomery.
In 1953 The Board of Directors decided to relocate to the present location on Clay Street, and they changed the name to the Nellie Burge Community Center as a memorial to Mrs. Nellie Burge whose husband donated the residence. In 1998, a capital funds campaign was undertaken, and in 2000 we opened a state-of-the-art day care facility. Now, a new chapter in our history begins with Mary Ellen’s Hearth.